Thursday, February 25, 2010

The gift that keeps on giving



Although I LOVE baking I have often picked up vanilla beans in my gocery trips and then put them back because of the price tag. I usually buy the bean paste or the extract instead. Recently I decided to give it a go. And whilst it gave the recipe a nice punch I was more impressed with the domino effect of making my own vanilla sugar. Once I scrapped the pods, I placed them in my sugar container. It has added the nicest subtle vanilla taste and fragrance to everything even the humble piklets!


For a simple recipe see here:

Sift (or wisk) 1 cups o
f self raising flour, 1 dessert spoonful of the vanilla sugar and a pinch of salt.
Wisk together 3/4 cup buttermilk (normal will do) and 1 egg and wisk into the dry ingredients.
Heat non-stick pan and dollop in the batter for the desired size.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails