Thursday, May 20, 2010
Healthier foods every woman should know - Part 4
We are finishing the series on healthier foods for women today (managed to do it in 4 posts rather than 5). Below are foods that will help you to reduce your cholesterol.
* Wholemeal bread: get rid of white bread and switch to whole meal/ grain which lowers cholesterol
* Oatmeal: a great food for reducing cholesterol, oatmeal also has lots of vitamins E, C, potassium, and Omega 3-EFA's.
* Soy: soy has been shown to not only significantly lower bad cholesterol, but also to raise good cholestoral. Use soy milk, tofu or edamame for best results.
* Almonds: with lots of polyunsaturated fatty acids, almonds will help to lower cholesterol in your body.
* Fish: find fish rich in omega-3 EFA'ssuch as mackeral, salmon, tuna and trout.
* EVOO (extra Virgin Olive Oil): this variety of olive oil is less processed, and will help lower cholesterol and is high in anti oxidants.
* Unsaturated fats: replace saturated fats in your kitchen. try using canola, corn, safflower, or soybean oils.
* Garlic: raw garlic (and lots of it) will help you lower your cholesterol. Make sure your partner is sharing WITH you though - lol ;)
* Cranberry-grape juice: Cranberries raise good cholesterol while grapes slow down the bad cholesterol's oxidation. * Pomegranate juice: reduces cholesterol plaque build-up and reduces plaque in your arteries.
***Thanks to the "Hills LIfe" magazine and www.nursingdegree.net for running this article. I found it fascinating and have learned lots of new little facts :)