Thursday, May 13, 2010
Healthier foods every woman should know - Part 1
I found this article in a local magazine that comes into our letterbox. When flipping through I found this article entitled "Healthier foods every woman should know..." I was fascinated reading about this stuff. Some of it i knew, but it is interesting anyway. This will be a 5 part series with chapters on how to have younger looking skin, healthier cardiovascular system, reducing cholestorol, bone health and healthy desserts. I can't think of a better way to be healthy than eating your way there!!!! I might use some of these articles to post some healthy recipe ideas later. I hope you learn some new things here like I did.
* Flax Seed: high in omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids and lingnans (an important fiber for women)
* Pumpkin : beta carotene in pumpkin reduces risk of breast cancer and helps body repair its own skin
* Sweet Potatoes: Full of vitamins A and C and well as calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and iron.
* Dark Meat: Lean red meat and dark meat from poultry are high in iron, which is essential for women of child-bearing age.
* Broccoli: High in calcium, potassium and B vitamins.
* Salmon: this super food is high in omega -3 EFA's and protein, low in cholestorol and contains lots of B vitamins, calcium, zinc, iron and magnesium.
* Mangoes: high in Vit A and C and help harm against cervical cancer.
* Figs: high in fibre, B vitamins, iron, potassium and calcium.
* Kiwi: These tasty fruits pack more vitamin C than oranges.