Saturday, October 23, 2010

Vintage Sewing History Made My Day :)

This year I finally fulfilled my new years resolution (that I have made for about 5 years now) and took the plunge to learn to sew. I hadn't ever had much exposure to it and I have loved adding this to another avenue to express myself. Today I inherited two items that are very special to me!

As my grandfather has had an operation recently, I went for a trip with my boys and my Mum to see my Amazing Grandparents to see how they were and I bought some of my recent sewing projects to show and tell (I can't show all of them on here yet ;).

When I told Grandma that I would love to get my own machine one day (soon - hopefully) she offered me to 'permanently loan' her old machine. I had never seen it and then she bought it out for me to see. I was quite taken by the solid timber case, but my heart fluttered when she lifted the lid. It was a vintage black, sleek Singer machine. I was flawed and fell in love!!!




It still has a lot of origional feet and paper work in their boxes too. I have to do some googling to figure it out. If I can't figure it out, I may just take it to my sewing group on Thursday and ask the many 100's of years of combined sewing experience!



Then, when I got home, I was getting something from the garage and came across an empty old wooden sewing box. As this house we are in (as some may know) is my husbands grandmothers house, I asked my mother-in-law if she who's it was. She said it was her mothers and that I am welcome to use it.
It has lots of space to put all the little things that I have been collecting over the past year or so ;)




So now I have two items that on top of their inherit beauty, hold sentimental value coming from grandmothers on mine and my husbands side.

Now I can't wait to set up my new craft room/ study in our new place in about 5 weeks and get everything orgasnised!!!! YAY!

Lauren x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails