Friday, July 9, 2010

Birthday Time


Well the middle of the year is birthday season in our house. Our boys have their birthday a few weeks apart in June and July and then we have lots of friends celebrating birthdays this time of year too!
Yesterday I wanted my eldest son to take a cake to share at preschool. However, this presented a baking challenge as it had to be nut, egg, dairy free. So, no eggs, butter, milk.....hmmm.

I found a cake recipe for a vegan chocolate cake and I'll tell you, it was surprisingly DELICIOUS!!! I arrived in time to share the celebrations with him and his preschool friends. All the kids asked for seconds and some even thirds. None of them turned it away. So, I figure, if its approved by a room full of 4 year olds, its got to be good!
Here is the recipe I used. I added rice milk instead of soy milk or water as I had a carton in the pantry. For the Icing I used icing mixture (about 4 cups), cocoa (few tablespoonfuls) and water (about 1/2 cup added slowly to make sure i get a good icing consistency).

Its not my most 'pretty' cake i have ever made because of the limitedness of the ingredients I think I did well - 'J' liked it too and that's all that matters right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails