Tuesday, June 19, 2012

{Wheat Bran Muffins}

I bought a packet of wheat bran in a recent grocery shop but didn't know what to do with it. I set myself an assignment to make some sort of healthy muffins for school lunches. It annoys me how so many muffin recipes may as well be cupcakes with their sugar content. Are we just trying to avoid guilt by re-naming it...I'm not buying into it. These were healthy enough that you could even use it as part of an on-the-go breakfast I reckon. 

I tried this recipe and it was met with much delight by my boys. They practically inhaled them for a rainy afternoon tea treat. They have been requested again since. So, I adapted a few different recipes to come up with this one. 

Here is the recipe that you can customise to your tastes. Ours were banana flavoured which is always a favourite in our house.
Method:
1 cups of wheat bran (I added 2 but realise that may be too much for some)
1 cup of plain flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk (or add 1 tbl of lemon juice to milk and let it sit for a minute).
1 egg
1/4 cup rice bran oil (can substitute with vegetable oil)

Steps:
1. Combine all dry ingredients into a large bowl. 
2. Mix all the wet ingredients into a smaller bowl. 
3. Add the wet into the dry ingredients and add your choice of flavourings (see below).
4. Bake at 180' for about 12 minutes or golden brown or 'passes' the skewer test. This will depend on your oven and size of muffins. I do mini muffins and these usually take about 8-10 minutes in my oven.

Flavouring Ideas:
- 1 large mashed banana
- 1 large (or 2 small) grated apples
- 1 cup of blueberries or raspberries (frozen or fresh)
- 3/4 cup of sultanas

I also bought 

Lauren x



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails