Thursday, July 5, 2012

{Dude Food for Origin}

Last night was State of Origin. I am not normally a football fan, however, I always watch origin. I love it (except when the blues go down AGAIN!). 
Hubby and I had a few of his mates over for game 1 and 3 and last night was a big match.
So, a BIG dude food menu was in order. I love brainstorming this stuff with my brother and we came up with this idea:

- Mini Cheeseburger Sliders with a Homemade Brioche Bun
I just made mini rissoles, with a 1/4 slice of colby cheese melted on each, tomato, rocket and ketchup/ mustard.
- Beer Battered Onion Rings  
First time making these and was hoping they'd turn out. BIG SUCCESS!!!
Beer-battered onion rings
{image from recipe...seen my attempt below lol!}

- Steak Fries  
(These I just cooked and kept warm in the slow cooker as an additional side / security in case the onion rings didn't work).

Recipe for the Brioche was inspired by {this} but I found it slightly confusing so I'll have re-typed it below. 
Brioche:
Ingredients:
- 400g of strong bakers flour, but plain flour should be fine.
- 5g dried yeast
- 10g fine salt 
- 90 ml warm milk
- 2 TBL caster sugar
- 100g warm butter
- 4 medium free range eggs (I luckily have a daily supply of these thanks to my 3 ladies out back)
FOR GLAZE: 1 egg mixed with 2 TBL milk

Steps:
1. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, and bring it all together to form a dough. Knead for about 10 minutes, until smooth and shiny.
2. Shape the dough into a round, place in a bowl and cover tightly. Leave in the fridge overnight. 
3. The next day, divide the dough in two loaves (or mini hamburger size rolls...think size of a scone). 
4. Lightly flour the loaves/ rolls, lay them on a wooden board or linen cloth and cover with a plastic bag. Leave them somewhere nice and warm to prove until almost doubled in size; this could take 3-4 hours, as the dough is cold. 
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C. For the glaze, beat the egg and milk together. Transfer the risen loaves/ rolls to a baking tray and brush all over with the glaze. Bake for about 5 minutes (maybe 10 if doing a larger sized loaf) then lower the oven setting to 180°C and bake for a further 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

*** If you make these ahead of time and they seem harder than you would like before serving, just zap in microwave for about 30 seconds.
  

Paprika Beer Battered Onion Rings:
 
{Here} is the link to the recipe for these delicious onion rings, that had all the guys hanging in the kitchen. Every time I filled the bowl, they were swooped up in a matter of seconds! Stopping the dozen men from eating before I get the right angle for my blog photo wasn't going to happen, so by the time I finished cooking, I only had an empty bowl left. The best compliment I could have had! 
 Tips:
1. You do need to designate someone to this job, it takes seconds to cook, so multitasking is NOT a good idea ;)
2.  The only thing I added was a dash (probably about 1 tsp) of smoked paprika).
3. Use a chopstick to put onion into batter and drop into the hot oil.
4. Use a slotted spoon to scoop out once golden and put onto paper towels.
 
  
I hope you try these recipes and enjoy them like we did.

Q: Even you are not a dude (like me lol) whats your favourite 'dude food'? These onion rings are now definitely mine!

Lauren x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails